Monday, January 3, 2022

New Year Reflections

     I can't recall whether or not I've ever done a New Year reflections post but given that I haven't been posting much, I thought I would look take a moment or two and look back at 2021. Plus, yesterday's church sermon was titled "Back and Forward" which compelled me to stop and reflect:
  • The year started out on a somber note with the passing of my aunt.
  • A380 had a nice birthday at home. Shortly thereafter, The Principal celebrated a milestone birthday without all the fanfare since we in another shut down.
  • Little Toughie performed in an original musical via online streaming.
  • Things opened back up and we were able to celebrate Little Toughie's birthday at the same place we did in 2020, right before THE FIRST LOCKDOWN.
  • Also, The Principal scored his first win in the Birthday Mac 'n Cheese Battle. Darn it. Just kidding.
  • With things still open we dined at one of our favorite steak restaurants. I'm only there for the chocolate cake, which they DIDN'T HAVE that day. Doh!
  • We took a trip to Disney World. Little Toughie brought a friend. We can't wait to go back.
  • I got my annual Mother's Day Ravioli, made once again by Little Toughie. I enjoyed every bite!
  • For Father's Day we went back to the same steak restaurant mentioned above. Still no chocolate cake.
  • A380 graduated from high school! My first homeschool graduate.
  • We enjoyed brunch with out of town family.
  • Our church held a Family Cookout. There was a corn hole tournament. We lost. (But had a blast!)
  • Haircuts! I don't know how long it had been since our last cut, but Little Toughie and I were so happy to finally have our go-to guy up and running, err, cutting.
  • We took a long overdue trip to see our family. AND to look for a new home. (Yeah, we're moving).
  • Little Toughie was baptized. Praise the Lord!
  • We took a day trip downtown. We're checking things off of our "Before We Move" list. One down, fifty or so to go.
  • We laid my grandfather to rest. I miss him.
  • Thanksgiving was just the four of us. Simple, quiet and delicious.
  • I authored my second novel participating in NaNoWriMo. Revising will commence next month.
  • We learned my mom has cancer. A blow to what was left of the shattered pieces of my heart that were dangling after the loss of my grandfather (her dad). I am barely functioning, but by the grace of God, the power of Jesus and the prayers our church family and friends. Thank you.
  • We went to Disneyland. Check. Two down.
  • Candlelight Christmas Eve service at our church. In person, finally. Yay. Such a wonderful way to celebrate the One who gave it all!
  • Happy New Year!

     I'm astounded by how blessed I am...how blessed we are, not just the material stuff, but that God sacrificed His one and only Son for someone as mediocre as me. I am in awe of God's presence in the midst of all of it...hills and valleys. I am so, so grateful to Him who deserves all the glory. So, I end this with praise and song for Him.

God be gracious to us and bless us,
And cause His face to shine upon us— Selah
That Your way may be known on the earth,
Your salvation among all nations.
May the peoples praise You, God;
May all the peoples praise You.
Psalm 67:1-3


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.