Saturday, October 10, 2020

Year 8, Week 8: Back to Work

     In a previous post I mentioned that Little Toughie had an audition.  She had call backs last weekend and she got a part!  Obviously, this year is going to be different with live performances and right now rehearsals are primarily virtual.  They have a contingent plan in place if come January audience gatherings are still prohibited.  Not ideal for any performer who feeds off the audience's reactions (we miss seeing live musicals!) but it is what it is.  Regardless, Little Toughie is excited and...busy.


     We're back to our normal schedule and I'm trying help the kids hone their time management skills.  Little Toughie's assignments are getting longer and I've raised my standards for A380, so the work is taking longer for both to finish.  However, some of it is also the fact that they "see squirrels" and they get distracted.  Or sometimes, in Little Toughie's case, her sense of time is off.  Half an hour feels like five minutes to her and well, that five minute break just lengthened her school day.  A380, on the other hand, is such a clock watcher that if on the calendar I have them doing math from 10:30-11:00 a.m. he'll stop at 11 even though there is still work to be done.  Our homeschool calendar is for reference; to give them an idea of what they should be doing at certain times.  The good thing with Little Toughie is that once she gets back on track, she's focused and she knows what needs to get done.  The good thing with A380 is that he'll tell me that he needs a break and wants to work on something else before circling back to whatever it is he needs to finish.  I know I'm just being anxious and importunate in wanting them to be organized; it is a skill that will bode well for them in all things.  I have to remind myself that they'll get there but ultimately it will be what works for them, their needs and personalities.

     The rest of our week was fairly quiet.  A380 got to watch an online Science Magic Show.  He was excited to share what he saw, especially because M&Ms were included!  Little Toughie got her script and I'm pretty sure she already has all her lines memorized.  I was on the phone and computer a lot this week.  I'm working on a new project (I'll share in a few weeks.)  I had to watch a couple of webinars to prep.  There were a couple of Zoom meetings that I had to attend (one of which I missed and had to listen to the playback!)  I made an appointment for my flu shot, which took a lot longer than expected because I couldn't remember the last time I had one.  I had to stay in the clinic for 15 minutes, after already waiting for 20 minutes just to get the shot, because they wanted to make sure I didn't have an immediate reaction.  Thankfully, I didn't.

     Not much else.  Enjoy your weekend and...squirrel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.