Saturday, August 15, 2020

Year 8, Day 1: ???

     

     The reboot of this blog may be a bit unorganized until I find the layout and style that will work best for me.  I don't even have a great title for these Year 8 posts as evident by the lackluster title of this one!  For now, I'll just share how our week went.

     Every school year I spend some time praying about what scripture should lead our year.  This year the words joy and willingness came to mind.  After doing some research and reading, I found Romans 15:13:


     We surprised the kids with donuts from a well-known local shop along with breakfast from Chick-Fil-A.  Not the healthiest meal or my kind of start to any day (I don't like donuts so I didn't have any), but it's not like they eat like that all the time.
     
     Our first week was pretty easy, of course.  I always make sure to ease into our schedule, so our focus this week was Bible, history, science, geography and math along with their reading requirements.  Next week, writing is added and then the week after that spelling is added.  It seems like a lot, even looking at the calendar, but it doesn't take all day and they're not overwhelmed.

     Midweek, I switched things around a bit and did our poetry reading in the morning while they were having breakfast.  I've been trying to implement a morning time routine for the past three years but I haven't been able to find something that sticks.  I read to them in the evening, when The Principal is home.  Little Toughie likes her free reading time later in the day while A380 isn't a fan at all.  We would do art, but then they would stay on that FOREVER.  Music and/or art appreciation is a possibility.  We always start our school day with our Bible reading/study and prayer but I've been trying to add something else.  I don't know.  It's been three years.  Perhaps I should just let it go.

     Besides, I'm now trying to figure out if I want to stick to a particular format for these posts.  I want to share every week, but I don't know if I want to stick to "What We Read" and "What We Tried" every week, which doesn't necessarily limit me to our homeschooling.  Or perhaps something similar to our dinner time sharing:  Pow (the low of our day), Wow (the highlight of our day) and Yowzah (how we saw God at work during our day).  I came up with Yowzah because it reminds me of Yahweh!  We learned this dinner conversation starter a couple of years or so ago while having dinner with one of our lead pastors and her family.  Everyone shares their day; the high, low and how they saw God at work.  We LOVED the idea and started implementing it.  Maybe I'll use a format similar to that.

    That's pretty much it.  Nothing else.  Just ramping up bit by bit!