Sunday, September 10, 2017

Year 5: Rome to The Reformation, Week 4

     Our homeschooling is going fairly smoothly so far.  I say that only because we're just a month in and I'm still slowly adding more work in.  We'll see how it goes once we're working with our full load.  I have not doubt that they'll handle it fine; I think it's myself that concerns me 😜.

     This week we added Latin.  We're using a different curricula because we did not enjoy our last program.  Not that school or work will always be enjoyable; I remind my kids that there will often be work you don't want to do but it has to be done.  Persevere!  But my kids had questions that I couldn't understand because this curricula was not very clear, even with the pricey DVD I ended up adding in hopes that it would help.  It didn't.  Thus, that program was just not the one for us.  However, we decided to give Latin For Children by Classical Academic Press a try.  We love it!  Dr. Perrin is humorous and a delight to listen to.  Plus, I purchased that activity book (my kids love activity books) to help reinforce what they're learning in a fun way.


     This is another one of our books for history:


     This week we read about the Roman bathhouses.  My kids were grossed out.  As much as when they learned that there was no plumbing and "stuff" was thrown out the window, sometimes from the second floor onto unsuspecting bystanders.  I told them to imagine if that were the case now.  They were squeamish.

     We also began our nightly Read-Alouds.  I say nightly simply because we wait until The Principal is home so that he can hear the stories as well.  Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  This is one my favorite parts of homeschooling.  Mind you, you don't have to homeschool to read aloud to your kids.  It should be done on a regular basis, even as they get older.


     There's not much more to share.  Smoothly, I say.  Smoothly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.