Sunday, August 7, 2016

Year 4, Week 1: Creation

     I wasn't sure what to title this year since we're not using an all-in-one curriculum.  Last year I was able to use the country we were studying.  This year it's different.  We have a buffet of books to choose from, though our main subject is history.  Or language arts.  All of our reading is around those subjects but I don't think it would make for a good title.  For now, I'll just pick something that peaked their interest that week and we'll go from there.

     This year will be the year of outings too.  Last year we didn't get to do much because I kept dropping the ball on putting trips on the calendar or missing sign up dates.  I'm keeping a better eye out for things this year.  We already have 3 outings planned!

     This was our first week, obviously.  I read somewhere (I'm sure from another homeschooling blog) that it's best to ease into the school year.  While I may be excited to crack open each and every book and dive in, my kids may not share the same enthusiasm and I don't want to scare them off on day one.  Perhaps day 5.  Ha!  Thus, we are only starting with a few things this week, adding a bit more as the weeks pass.  This week I'm introducing them to their new history, grammar and math books.  Later we'll be adding spelling, science and Latin.

     I will say how apropos it is that as we make our way through Ancient History that on our first day we took it way back...way back to Creation!  The kids made cards representing each day:




     We also began reading Dr. Doolittle.  I actually read this aloud to my daughter when I first began homeschooling her.  She was only 5 then.  She doesn't quite remember the whole story.  Nonetheless, everyone is enjoying it so far.

     That's pretty much it for our first week.  Like I said we're taking it nice and slow.  Oh, wait!  Did I mention that I created a very official looking document that laid out what the Principal and I expect from the our kids this school year?  At the very top it has Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Then it starts out listing their major accomplishments last year and then moves on to their goals for this year, both on an academic and personal level.  Here they are reading it before they sign it.  Bwahahaha!


     Now I bid you adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.