Sunday, July 20, 2014

2014-2015 Curriculum

 Our 2014-2015 school year began on July 14, 2014.  We are still participating in Classical Conversations, which starts in September, but I put together my own curriculum this year instead of purchasing a complete curriculum as I did with Sonlight last year. Don't get me wrong, we LOVED Sonlight, it's just that the books they have for American History (which is our focus this year) are beyond both of my kids.  Here is what we're using:

  • Bible:  Both are using Long Story Short.
  • History:  We've begun with studying the California Missions.  In September we'll be studying U.S. History for the remainder of the school year.  They will be reading a variety of books with me and independently to further their studies.  Of course, there will be plenty of copy work!
  • Language Arts:  A380 is using Teaching Cursive and Little Toughie is using Explode the Code workbooks.  Both are using English Lessons Through Literature, Level 2.  I'm still looking for a Spelling Program.   We'll be using All About Spelling.**
  • Math:  A380 is using Monarch.  Little Toughie is using Singapore.
  • Science:  We're studying Human Anatomy this year.  Life-sized outlines of both kids will live on our walls until the end of the school year.
  • Geography:  Learning the States and Capitals and how to draw a map of the U.S.
  • Spanish:  La Clase Divertida (which will start in August)**
  • Keyboarding:  Typing Pal

     
     This page will be updated with any changes we happen to make throughout the year.  Sometimes you find something doesn't work and you have to use something different.  If that's the case, I will explain the changes below.



*I was having a hard time finding a spelling program that used the Orton-Gillingham method and one that I liked. We decided to give this a try this year. We can always change it if we have to.

**We passed on an official spelling program this year.  My kids do so much copywork and dictation writing that I didn't feel the need to get it.  We will likely use it in the 2015-2016 school year.

***I'm up in the air about Spanish. We're covering a lot of Latin this year in Classical Conversations and I don't want to make it harder for them by throwing Spanish into the mix. I was told by a long-time homeschooler that teaching them Latin first will actually help them when I introduce Spanish. I think Spanish will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.