Thursday, August 8, 2013

When Life Hands You An Empty Tissue Box...

     Make a banjo!

     At least that's what I did after my Kindergartner brought her drum and drumstick to me this morning and requested some tape and rubber bands.  I asked her what she was trying to do and she said, "I just need to make a banjo."  I told her that I think we can do better than that and we did!


     Materials Needed:
  • Empty Tissue Box
  • Scissors
  • 2 crayons or small dowels
  • One of those paint stirring sticks (we had a small PVC pipe and used that)
  • 2-3 rubber bands that can fit snugly around the box
  • Double stick tape
     Instructions:
  1. Remove the plastic from the tissue box opening
  2. Cut a small slit at the top (short end) of the tissue box to accommodate the paint stick.  You'll eventually push the paint stick (or PVC pipe) through this slit (if using a PVC pipe make x slits that the pipe can push through, like in the lid of a to-go cup).
  3. Place crayons or dowels at the top and bottom of the tissue box (open side).  Use double stick tape to secure it.
  4. Wrap rubber bands around box and over the crayons.
  5. Insert stick.
  6. Rock on!


     My daughter is now playing it making up her own songs.  I just heard her sing one about clouds!

     For  more fun and to take a peek at other Pre-K and K activities head on over to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.