At least that's what I did after my Kindergartner brought her drum and drumstick to me this morning and requested some tape and rubber bands. I asked her what she was trying to do and she said, "I just need to make a banjo." I told her that I think we can do better than that and we did!
- Empty Tissue Box
- 2 crayons or small dowels
- One of those paint stirring sticks (we had a small PVC pipe and used that)
- 2-3 rubber bands that can fit snugly around the box
- Double stick tape
- Remove the plastic from the tissue box opening
- Cut a small slit at the top (short end) of the tissue box to accommodate the paint stick. You'll eventually push the paint stick (or PVC pipe) through this slit (if using a PVC pipe make x slits that the pipe can push through, like in the lid of a to-go cup).
- Place crayons or dowels at the top and bottom of the tissue box (open side). Use double stick tape to secure it.
- Wrap rubber bands around box and over the crayons.
- Insert stick.
- Rock on!
My daughter is now playing it making up her own songs. I just heard her sing one about clouds!
For more fun and to take a peek at other Pre-K and K activities head on over to: