Monday, April 28, 2014

Kindergarten, Week 35: Our Penultimate Week!

     ONE.  MORE.  WEEK.

     I cannot believe that there is only one more week of our first year of homeschooling.  It just went by so fast!  Just this past Saturday we attended our Classical Conversations end-of-the-year celebration (which ended right before Spring Break started).  I remember last year's celebration and can't believe it's come around again.  Now, I find it implausible that we are nearing the end of Kindergarten.  I say this, despite all the preparations and research I've already been doing for the Fall.  There is a very high likelihood that I will homeschool our son come the next school year.  We have one last meeting in a week or so and are continuing to pray for guidance and answers.  My investigation into different programs has narrowed down my curriculum, and with God's guidance (more than anything else) I am prepared to homeschool both kids and I am excited about it!

     This week we continued reading about Paul in the Bible.  My daughter likes that the origins of many of the books in the New Testament came from Paul and the cities he visited.  For example, I explained that the book Corinthians was written by Paul to the people of Corinth and that my favorite verse, Philippians 4:13, came from his letters sent to Philippi!  She was amazed to hear that, plus seeing the map of his journeys helped her see how far he was willing to go to bring the Good News to the Gentiles.

     I haven't written much about math, simply because at this age, it's not too exciting.  My daughter loves math and our math lessons have now become math drills.  The program we're using was a bit short on practice so I used Super Teacher Worksheets to create sheets for her to complete and to reinforce what she learned.

Super Teacher Worksheet made just for my Little Toughie

     I was using the above referenced site and liked that I could personalize it.  However, a fellow homeschooling mom (who used to be a public school teacher) recommended that I use sheets where the math problems are horizontal rather than vertical (pictured above) as much as possible, especially when it's simple single digit addition and subtraction.  She explained that this will assist them more when doing algebraic work in the future.  She also recommended creating my own flashcards, writing addition facts horizontally, rather than vertically.  Since learning the tricks of the trade I began using The Math Worksheet Site which allows you to choose a vertical or horizontal layout.  I don't get to personalize it, but it will help with her math facts memorization and as my friend stated, it will assist with her ability to read and solve algebra problems later on.  We also use an online program that she absolutely loves (which I will review in a few weeks).  I only use it because once she gets done with her worksheets she wants to do more and this site doesn't use a lot of graphics or music or anything game like.  It's very simple and straightforward and once again, the math basic math problems are horizontal.

     We also began a new book titled The Hundred Dresses which touches on teasing others and the effect it has.  I've taught both of my kids to stand up for themselves should they encounter someone who picks on them and I'm trying to teach them what to do if they witness someone else being bullied.  I can only pray for God's protection over them and that the Holy Spirit guide them throughout their day.

     With that, I bid you farewell.  This is our last week, a busy one at that since my daughter is also in a production of The Wizard of Oz (Have I ever mentioned that she LOVES stage performances and was excited to be in this one?) and this week is chock full of rehearsals and late nights.  I'll write about that another time.  Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.